If you can’t make it to the gym, or you just aren’t a “gym person,” but you want a killer total body workout check out what I have created below. These are exercises you will perform one after the other in sequence. Taking 10-20 seconds rest between each exercise. One full round of this exercise complex is call a “wave”. After one full complex wave take 45-75 seconds rest and repeat the complex 1-3 more times.
Once you are done with your sets of Complex 1 then perform Complex 2. Do this program 3 times per week. It should take you less than 20 minutes to complete. These exercises should all be performed in a slow, controlled manner in order to really engage and feel the muscle being worked (Unless it’s noted to explode and work on speed as some exercise are below). I added Youtube links for the different exercises to show you how the exercises should be performed if you are unfamiliar with them.
- Plyo-Push up – 6-15 reps depending on your strength level http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYU5MeZ1Xco
- Pull ups – reps to failure
- Lunges – 10 reps on each leg Get a nice deep and controlled lunge. Slowly drop yourself down and squeeze your glutes way thighs on the way up to fully engage the muscles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ZeWaJwmg0
- Pike Push- ups – 10-15 reps. Depending on the angle you can work with more or less of your bodyweight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sposDXWEB0A
- Planks – hold for 30-45 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHjTRCQxIw
- V-ups – 15-25 reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP2fjvG0g3w
- Jump Squats – 10-15 reps. Really explode of the bottom and jump as high as possible do not pause at the bottom you want to work on exploding and working on the Stretch Reflex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utQShuge6Vk
- Inverted rows – 10-12 reps. Depending on the angle you can work with more or less of your bodyweight. You would set up the pull up bar lower to the ground to perform this exercise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cnXBP1bUSU
- Close Grip Push Ups – 10-15 reps. Really focus on contracting and squeezing your chest and triceps at the top of the movement. Hold the contraction at the top of the movement on every rep for 2 seconds to really activate the muscles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4lnOrykocg
- YTI’s – 10-12 reps. This may not look like much of an exercise but if you really squeeze and contract your shoulders at each level of the movement (the Y, the T, the L) it really burns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLm_llzkCE Do them the way she does them at 54 seconds into the clip in progression Y,T, I that’s one rep
- Glute bridges – Excellent core and glute exercise. Make sure you keep your weight on your heels and Really squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement and hold for 2 seconds each rep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwNP1Ure28Q You should feel this in your core and your glutes NOT in your back.
- Mountain Climbers – 30-45 seconds . I want you to really dig hard on these and get as many reps in as you can in that 30-45 second timeframe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA9Xhv2ktgw
This is a workout I put together for a friend of mine who was only able to train 3 days per week. He is someone I would consider to have moderate to advanced experience with training. In my opinion a Push/Pull/Legs split is extremely effect. I think this is an approach anyone with at least a years experience in the gym will be able to handle. This is a plan for hypertrophy. As always, diet is incredibly important. Periworkout nutrition is also key for recovery from these workouts.
PUSH DAY 1
- Incline DB Press – warm up 2 sets of 15 then I want you to do 3-4 sets of 8 reps, increasing weight until you can no longer get 8 reps. Then I want you do do a double dropset on the last set dropping the weight 15-20% each time.
- Decline Hammer Press or Decline DB – 4 sets in the following manner 10,8,6,6. Last set I want a double rest pause. So after your 6 (which should be very difficult) you will rest take about 10-15 breaths then bang out as many as you can with the same weight. Then repeat that process one more time
- Incline Flyes with manual resistance – 3 sets http://youtu.be/AjJ8U7wObTw On these take a weight that you can do perfectly for about 10 and just do 10 normal flyes. Straighten your arms out at the top and you will feel an unbelievable flex and pump (from the last exercise) in your chest. Then drop the weight and do 5-6 reps where your partner pushes you down and you resist hard. It is important that your partner only push down ½ way, do not keep pushing all the way down into the stretched position or you will get injured
- Ladder Push up with Cambered Bar – 3 sets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwPJ1QtqcU
- Side DB Raises – 6 sets of 10
- Bent over DB rears delts – 6 sets of 10
- BB Shrugs – 4 sets of 12-15. I want you to do each set as the following way. The bar in front of you for 12-15 reps then put the bar behind you and another 10 reps. That is one set
- French Press – 4 x 10 last set double drop set
- Dips – 3 sets to failure
PULL DAY 1
- T-bar Rows – 2 warm up sets of 15. Then 4 worksets of 8. Last set dropset of 3
- Wide Grip pulldowns facing away – 4 sets 12,10,8,8 Last set double drop set These are done facing away so your knees are not under the pads, so you will not be able to do more than your body weight and stay seated.
- Rack Pulls – 4 sets using heavyweight 10,8,5,5 . Make sure to keep good form with these as to avoid injury. Start out with bar around knee level with all the weight is starting on the glutes and pull the weight off the bar keeping back straight until you are in full standing position. Use this to build density and thickness
- Seated Machine Pullovers – 4 sets of 10-12. I want you to really focus on the contraction and use a 3 second position and really squeeze at the bottom of the movement. Then a true 3 second negative. You may have to do less weight to achieve this tempo, but really focus on making the tempo.
- Pinwheel curls – 5 sets of 8. I want only a 45 second rest between sets. Once again really focus on the contraction at the top and a slow 3 second negative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgSEnXug25s Don’t use the tempo this guy is using or the momentum, but just wanted you to see what they were in case you didn’t
- Incline DB Curls – 3 x 8 Last set double dropset. Once again really focus on the contraction at the top and a slow 3 second negative
- RDL’s – 2 sets warm up with 15 reps. Then 3 sets of 10. Really warm up your hamstring with this and on the last set try to hit some good weight with reps and keep form perfect
- Split Squats – 4 sets of 8
- Squats – 5 sets 12,10,8,6,6 Keep good form and make sure your knee is good and warmed up. I would prefer you to foam roll your quads before you start this workout to help with any issues you may have.
- Leg extension -4 x15 Last set double drop set, pump out as many as you can even if you are only getting half reps. I want you to really burn out here and push as much as you can to really get the blood pump and get all the growth factors and nutrients in your quads
- Standing Calf raise – 4 x 12
- Standing One legged Bodyweight calf raises – 4×12
If you’re looking for a challenging and effective hypertrophy program this is one I would suggest. Hit me up if you have any questions. I would love to hear your results from my program.